Podcast SEO, the basics. In this post, a beginner's guide to search engine optimisation for your podcast website.
Podcast SEO, or search engine optimisation for podcasts, is the practice of fine-tuning your podcast's website to improve its visibility and ranking in search engine results. There's a range of tactics including finding the right keywords to use in your podcast name, episode titles and show notes.
What are keywords?
Keywords are words and phrases that are used to match a website's content with the search queries that users enter into search engines. By including relevant keywords in your podcast website content you can help search engines understand what your show is about and improve its ranking in search results. That will make it easier for potential listeners to discover and access your content.
What is pagerank?
Practically, it's the position that Google displays your podcast website in search results. We'll be aiming for page one for the search terms (keywords) you choose to optimise it for.
The basics of podcast SEO
More on keywords coming up but let's take a quick look at some of the other key elements of podcast SEO, they include:
- Transcriptions: Are you providing high-quality, informative, and original transcriptions of your podcast episodes on your website? This can help attract and engage visitors, as well as improve your site's ranking.
- Correct use of Meta tags: Are you using meta tags, such as the title, heading and description tags for the text and images on your podcast website? This will help search engines understand the content of your website and display it correctly in search results.
- Backlinks: Do other quality websites display links to your website. Sites that share your interests or similar subject matter? Having other high-quality websites link to your site will improve its authority and ranking in search results.
- User experience: Providing a positive user experience, such as a fast-loading website and easy-to-use navigation, can help improve your site's ranking and keep visitors coming back. An SSL or security certificate on your site is favoured by Google.
- Mobile-friendliness: For many people, a phone is the primary device to access the web, your website needs to be mobile-friendly to rank well in search results.
These are just a few of the many elements that can be important for effective SEO. We'll be returning to these on your journey to get more listeners.
Introduction: How to grow your podcast
Get started with podcast SEO
Using Keywords to improve podcast website SEO
- Google Ads tutorial - Discover keywords for your podcast
- Answer the Public tutorial - Is your podcast answering people's questions
- Put your podcast keywords to work
Get to grips with podcast transcriptions
- Why should I use podcast transcriptions
- Software to transcribe your podcast - Coming soon